February 22, 2021
The Principles of Thinking Adventures
- Systems (as in ‘combat system’ not ‘system matters’) offer a trade - your freedom in exchange for something else.
- This trade is not always in your favour.
- Ask yourself why anyone would, or should, incentivize behaviour.
- Spit in their eye if they try it.
- Try and be brave.
- Game systems should define parameters not outcomes.
- Tools are preferable to mechanisms.
- Game content should be more meaningful than game systems. If it is not, the content is weak or the system domineering.
- Your loyalty is to your players, then yourself. No others.
- Non serviam.
- Justification is always required.
- No defaults.
- If you meet Luke Gearing on the road, kill him.